Welcome to the Jedediah Shorts Sew-Along – Thread Theory Design Inc.’s very first sew-along. This sew-along will take two weeks with four posts a week during which we will photograph and explain the sewing process for the shorts variation of the Jedediah Pants pattern.
Each post will involve about half an hour to two hours of sewing. You can follow along at our speed or go at your own pace as the links for each post will remain posted in the list below even after the sew along has been completed. That way, if you don’t have time to join in the sew-along this August or if you make versions of the pants or shorts in the future, you will always be able to refer back to the posts that you found most helpful!
On top of the information included in our posts, you can also ask questions or comment about sewing methods that you use so that we can all give each other support throughout the project…kind of like sewing in the same studio together!
The sew-along will begin on August 15th, 2013! Follow our sewing progress using these links!
- Sew-along announcement – grab your sew-along button to display on your blog!
- Preparations – Fabric Requirements, Garment and Body Measurements, making bias binding from a vintage handkerchief
- Fitting and Sewing Resources – Links to some great blogs and You Tube videos (scroll past my Rosy Ladyshorts photos to find the links)
- Assembling Your Pattern – this post was made using the Newcastle Cardigan pattern but the techniques and tips hold true for the Jedediah Pants
- Lengthening or Shortening a Sewing Pattern Tutorial – Learn how to adjust the length of the Jedediah Pants before cutting into your fabric
- Grading to Create a Custom Fit Tutorial – If the body measurements given aren’t a perfect match, consider grading to create a custom fit!
- How to Save Fabric when Cutting out your Shorts or Pants (guest post by Meg of Made by Meg)
- Cutting out Fabric (Thursday, August 15th) – 1 1/2-2 hours
- Sewing the Slash Front Pockets (Friday, August 16th) – 1- 1 1/2 hours
- Sewing the Back Patch Pockets and Back Yoke (Saturday, August 17th) – 1 1/2 hours
- Sewing the Outseams with contrast binding (Sunday, August 18th) – 1 hour
- Sewing the Inseams (Thursday, August 22nd) – 1/2 hour
- Sewing the Fly – We made a video for this post! (Friday, August 23rd) – 1 1/2 – 2 hours
- Sewing the Belt Loops and Waistband (Saturday, August 24th) – 2 hours
- Sewing the Hem and Cuffs (Sunday, August 25th) – 1/2 hour
- Celebration post with photos of all the finished shorts! (Friday, August 30th) – Be sure to email your photos to us! (email@example.com) OR you can join the Kollabora Jedediah Shorts Sew-Along photo contest – prizes will be awarded on Sept 17th!