I am so happy to finally be able to say that I finished a sewing project! Of all the sewing projects I dream of sewing, I decided to tackle the harvest apron first since it is a simple little project, I already had the fabric, and it would allow me to head out to the garden with Noah in my arms and easily pick a salad for dinner.
I’m pretty happy with how it turned out! As I mentioned in my post listing my sewing plans recently, the design is based on an image of the beautiful aprons Four Peas in a Pod makes and sells on Etsy. I went with a different pocket configuration and waistband shaping and set out to make it rectangular but wound up curving the corners last minute due to bulk. It ended up quite similar to the original image but I am certain hers are far better constructed as my baby didn’t allow me the mental space to think through the construction process! On the bright side, I used close to every scrap of the meter of linen that I bought from my friend’s sewing shop in Courtenay, the Spool Sewing Studio. It is beautiful linen and should be thick and sturdy enough to stand the test of time (and heavy veggies). Upon testing the apron for a couple of weeks, I think I might need to beef up my stitching to match the strength of the fabric though. The point where the pouch attaches to the waistband is a weak one and could benefit from some topstitching before it rips.
I felt a bit like a beginner while working on this project since I have sewn so little in the last seven months…I kept making rookie mistake after rookie mistake (or perhaps that is the sleep deprivation to blame? Or the fact that I was sewing this in rushed 5-10 minute intervals while a baby complained at me?). Anyhow, I am thankful to Noah that he allowed me the time to make something and I am thankful that my brain is still functioning well enough that it turned out to be usable and more or less how I imagined!
It has a zippered pocket on the back (originally intended to be on the front lol) which I imagine I can use for things I don’t plan to access often – band-aids will perhaps be useful once Noah is toddling around!. On the front I did a patch pocket for my phone (pictured above) and the large harvest pocket. This large pocket features pleats along the bottom and a drawstring along the top so that it can be un-knotted at center front and opened into a massive pouch. Or the drawstring can stay knotted and veggies or eggs can be tucked into either side.
The waistband is shaped to sit over my upper hips. The long ties are made to circle around the back and tie in the front so they don’t dangle behind me…perhaps this is tmi but I find garments with sashes that tie in the back to be very annoying as I invariably forget to lift the ties out of the way when I sit down at a toilet leading to a disgusting dip in the toilet bowl…ug! As a toddler I would insist that the ribbon sashes on my fancy dresses were tied at the front so that I could always see the pretty bow. My reasoning for tying at the front is far less whimsical now!
Well, there you have it, in addition to dreaming about sewing during Me Made May, I managed to actually create one of my day dreams! I’d call that a step in the right direction! Maybe I’ll work on those Burnside Bibs next…