First of all, thank you everyone for your overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to our call for peacoat test sewers! We have selected our group of test sewers after a lot of deliberation. It was so difficult to choose from all the detailed emails and comments we received! Even if we didn’t select you this time, that didn’t mean you won’t have a chance to test sew in the future as we added everyone how applied to our test sewing mailing list!
Now, moving forward, did you notice the changes we made to the photos on our website this week? Check them out! We added a new version of the Strathcona Henley and decided to feature the beautiful Jedediah Pants that my mother-in-law sewed up.
It was my dad’s birthday last weekend so I sewed him a Strathcona Henley as per his request. This time, I chose a beautifully soft cotton knit with hardly any ribbing and a fairly stable jersey for the placket. The sewing process was so much easier than it was with the heavily ribbed knit I had used for Matt’s henley because both my serger and sewing machine decided they agreed with my fabric choice! We’ve updated the website photos to show my dad skillfully modelling his new shirt. He’s become quite a pro; we quickly walked to the park and he matter-of-factly began to strike poses…even though there were kids and parents watching at the play ground! Who would of thought my dad would be our easiest model!
While we were on a roll we also photographed the cardigan that my Mom had sewn my dad when we were in the pattern testing phase with the Newcastle Cardigan last spring. Even though the cardigan has been worn by everyone from my school’s fashion show model to my grandpa when he’s visiting and chilly the cardigan has never been properly photographed. My mom did an excellent job on it using a heavy (and thus difficult to handle) sweatshirt fleece and gorgeous leather details. She even added leather elbow patches which make the cardigan look so sophisticated! My dad loves wearing it when he walks their dog, Jake, now that it is getting pretty cold in the evenings. As you can see, it looks really nice on him!
Last but not least, I have another excellent version of the Newcastle to show you. Diana sewed this version and included a couple top stitching and fit modifications. She added a strip of fabric at the side seam to increase the width of the body and I think that the extra seam lines create a really nice structured look. The fabric and buttons she chose are just perfect and the tag she stitched in using a contrast thread makes the cardigan look like it has just been purchased from a high end menswear boutique! Great job Diana and thanks for sharing your photos with us!
I hope everyone had a fun Halloween! Matt and I are really excited that it is now November…we have a lot of big things planned for Thread Theory this month!